I logged onto my e-mail account, singing along to whatever was blasting from my mp3 at that precise moment, and came across an e-mail that someone commented on my “About” page. Being the shy pessimist that I am, I immediately said to myself “This can’t be good.”
I love being wrong when it comes to something positive landing in my lap. And that one little comment, made by Lillian of High, High, Higher! completely made my day. Can you blame me? I’ve been blogging for about four months now, getting not one, but two nominations in one day is the biggest accomplishment I’ve made thus far. (Actually, second to posting a political opinion of mine; that took a ton of guts on my part.) When I haven’t been sitting, trying to think about what to write, I’ve been swaggering around as if I just learned I won a billion dollar lotto and am going to purchase my first tropical island.
I really do have a big ego, don’t I? I don’t think I’ve noticed it until I made the realization that I am a swell enough writer. There’s always been that little doubt in my mind that no matter what I’m writing, be it fiction, or just these simple blog posts, I suck at it. I suppose it stems from being a pessimist, but hey, I really shouldn’t be listening to that stupid little voice in the back of my head, should I? I’ve evidently got some sort of writing gumption and realizing it makes me glow.
The first award I’ve been nominated for is the “One Lovely Blog Award.” And, because what fun would it be if we just had to say “Hey, I got this award, like me”, there are some guidelines to follow:
- Link back to the blogger who nominated you
- Paste the award image on your blog
- Tell 7 Facts About Yourself
- Nominate 15 other blogs that you would like to give the award to.
- Contact the bloggers that you have chosen and let them know about the award.
Simple! I hope.
Seven facts about myself, huh? Let’s see what I can come up with.
1. I am, without a doubt, an introvert. I can be outgoing and all, but I prefer being quiet and being at home, good music playing in the background to drown out as I read.
2. I have an addiction. You’d think I’d say books or a certain food item, or maybe something else. Nope. This one we can blame Blizzard Entertainment for. I can’t truly call myself a female gamer, can I, since I don’t tend to play a ton of other games, other than World of Warcraft, and recently, Diablo 3. I’ve been playing WoW for six years; seven in November. Ugh, thinking about how long I’ve been playing makes me shake my head and wonder what the hell I could have done with those seven years.
3. I’m as close as a Welsh Corgi expert as I can get without becoming either certifiable to be a judge or clinically insane (wait, I don’t think I have to be a dog expert to be close). Seriously. Since the fifth grade, when I got a dog book, and I saw the picture of the sable Pembroke Welsh Corgi, I knew exactly what type of dog I wanted since then. Ask me anything; I’ll tell you the differences between Pembrokes and Cardigans. And I’ll strangle you if you attempt any funny business with these two dog breeds. *crazy gleam in her eye*
4. Bloodlines: Scottish and Irish on my dad’s side. Woo, woo.
5. Potatoes have got to be one of my favorite foods. Any time at all. Potato wedges, mashed potatoes, potatoes in stews, fries, baked potatoes, just set in front of me, it’ll be devoured and loved.
6. I love fairy tales as well as mythology. At one point, I’d read all of the Ancient Greek myths I could get my hands on before I was thirteen. (If anyone knows where, exactly, I can find the original fairy tales, before the Brother’s Grimm came along, I’d love you forever.)
7. I’m one of those weirdos who likes to say the lines with the actors (and actresses) in certain movies when I’ve watched it enough times. I can also sing along with the songs if there are any. Here’s to you, David Bowie, for making The Labyrinth one of my favorite all time movies.
Next up is the “Sunshine Award”. I like this one because depending on who I’m hanging out with, I’m an absolute ray of sunshine. 😉 The rules are:
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog.
- Answer 10 questions about yourself.
- Nominate other fabulous bloggers.
- Link your nominees to this post and comment on their blogs, letting them know they have been nominated.
- Share the love and link the person who nominated you.
Ten questions about myself? Ugh, this is frustrating. I normally ask myself retarded questions I don’t want to publish on my blog! What is this?! Totally kidding.
1. What is up with your sense of humor? To be honest, I haven’t got a clue. It’s like, two parts dry, one part dark, with a hint of politically incorrectness mixed with that slightly innocent “I don’t quite get it, but I still think it’s funny” thing.
2. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? To visit, Scotland. I’ve had a dream to find my heritage and get married in the highlands. To live, Hawaii.
3. What’s one of your aspirations? I’ve already reached it — have someone think I’m a worthy blogger! But in reality, I’d love to write an epic fantasy novel. Or series. I’m slowly plodding along with my first potential book that’s last longer than ten pages! I’m proud of myself.
4. If you had to choose an era of music, which is the best, in your opinion? The 1980s, without a doubt. Even with the racy lyrics, there’s just something about the music that makes me love it to pieces. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got everything from alternative to modern rock to new age instrumental and rap on my mp3, but there is nothing like a good 1980s rock ballad or an 80s pop song.
5. Most annoying thing you’ve ever had to do? Move the summer between Sophomore and Junior year. If anyone wants some advice when you’re a parent, or if you’re already a parent and planning on moving, DO. NOT. DO. THIS. And I’m not saying this as someone who had to move three hours away from her two best friends, I’m saying this from a “Crap, I have to do WHAT to get those credits on my transcript?” point of view. Twelve weeks, people, twelve weeks I devoted 70 minutes of my day, five days a week, to sitting in a room of freshmen. It may not sound that long or that bad, but dear lord, it was the most horrible thing I’ve ever done. At one point, I had to ask my teacher if I could leave, they had gotten so “rambunctious.” And all because Redmond requires different requirements to graduate than Molalla. Thanks, mom and dad.
6. You mentioned earlier that you play World of Warcraft. Just how big of a nerd are you? I have played Dungeons and Dragons. Not online, not on the Xbox (though we did have this awesome D&D game on the Xbox; I was the halfling rogue and I was bad ass as hell) but with dice and pencil and paper. Top that.
7. Favorite fairy tale/myth/legend/folk-lore? The tale of the Selkie. I can’t explain why I’m drawn to that, out of all the ones I’ve read, but that takes the cake.
8. What, honest to god, scares you most? That’s a toss-up between being left alone and forgotten forever (hello, being marooned by pirates) or where we go after death. I’d say spiders, too, but while they scare me out of my skin, I’m not totally above giving up complete human interaction. I’m also human. The unknown scares me.
9. Have you ever been drunk? This is where most normal nineteen year olds say “Hell yes, I went to a party just the other night and got drunker than ****!” Being drunk does not interest me, vomiting on my shoes or shoes does not interest me, embarrassing Facebook photos do not interest me. Does that sound like I’ve answered the question? Bet it does. However, I have been drunk. On more than one occasion. Now, I can’t truly tell you what happened, you’d have to ask my parents but, uh, I drank enough to pass out. Several times. The kicker? I was two.
10. Do you have a guilty pleasure? Of course I do. What kind of person would I be if I didn’t? Mine is, and this is embarrassing, but hell, why not, a otome game. I don’t know, it’s just incredibly fun. Don’t judge me!
I’d just like to thank everyone for this, really. Knowing I have an audience and support makes this feel worthwhile, whether it seems to be a rather pointless and silly post or something meaningful. Big hugs!
As for my nominees, in no particular order:
art-profiles – I love art, and they’ve posted amazing artists that make me want to better my talents
Pumps & Iron – Food, clothing, and workouts to make sure you can stay in those cute clothes you just bought!
LadyRomp – Always bringing in inspirational women and articles about us lovely ladies, as well as posting some beautiful photos.
StyleSprite – Yes, I secretly have a passion for fashion.
Live to Write – Write to Live – What’s better than reading tips from professionals? Especially for an aspiring writer?
Talk about amazing, every one of them!